Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quieting down a PowerCenter Pro

Quieting down a PowerCenter Pro
GRedner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 01:08 PM

I have an old PowerCenter Pro 180 at home that I've been thinking of linuxing and messing with. The only obstacle: that is the most god-frikkin-awfully loud box I have EVER used. I won't have access to the machine for another week or two, so I can't pinpoint what is causing the noise yet. I am hoping that someone with a similar system could point me in the right direction.

-Gabe

Sten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 02:58 PM

I've worked with tons of these machines. Some are ultra noisy after all those years of service. Here's what you do.

First, you need to check the thumbscrews and be sure someone didn't screw them on ultra super tight. If super tight, they'll make the case vibrate! Not good!

The second thing you want to check is the fan on top of the heatsink. That could have some funky loud problems. That you can just take out, without risk to the system. It's very easy to take out. Just slide the plastic thing, that holds the fan, out of the little bar that holds it. You'll understand when you see it.

At this point you should be good to go. It might be a bit loud, but nothing extreme. The only thing you can do beyond here is replace the fan that blows air out of the computer. Any fan will do.

Unrelated, check the CD-rom to be sure if it works. PowerComputing put crappy CD-rom drives with their systems. They have a very high failrate after a few years.

BTP
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 04:20 PM

Gabe-

Search xlr8yourmac.com. I read where replacing the power supply (it has enclosed fans) made an enormous difference.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 09:04 AM

I recently replaced the stock power supply in my 210 Power Center Pro with a new 300W unit (the same ones used in PC ATX cases). Not only will my computer have enough juice to power 3 hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD-RAM drive - all connected internally - but it also started sounding A LOT more quiet.

Eric

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 05:39 AM

I would be inclined to believe that the power supply is the most likley problem. Go get any ATX supply and you should be in business.

If it is the processor fan, I wouldn't recommend that you just throw it out. You should be able to find a replacement someplace from an aftermarket service vendor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules