Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hard drive

hard drive
ra11286389
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 06:22 PM

will installation of 7200 rpm ata 133 hard drive 8.9 ms seek time give any boost in speed. I have G4 450 dp I gig ram using radeon agp card. I intend to install osx on it as a clean install leaving 9.1 on my original drive, Is this a good idea. thanks

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 06:27 PM

I don't know for sure, but I think the drive already in your Mac is 7200 rpm, and the hard drive used in my iMac has a < 9 ms seek time, so it I assume also that drives in the pro models are as fast or faster. One thing that I can tell you for sure is that you won't be able to utilize the 133 MB speed of your drive, because you have an ATA 66 controller in your Mac. It matters little though, because the hard drive itself isn't capbable of sending data that fast.

Brad

[edit: made a goof with the less than/greater than sign]

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: bradoesch ]

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2002, 09:59 PM

No real increase, you already have a good drive. Even if you put a new controller in, that drive won't saturate the bus of an ATA/66 controller, thus it would just waste money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules