Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > System Error, G4, OS 9

System Error, G4, OS 9
mantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 11:38 PM

Hello: I just installed imovie 2, two weeks ago. Two weeks after that, my system froze up on starting. I referred to my manual that came with the computer. I did what it said, (turning off system extensions and eventually starting up with system software cd while holding down C key) The problem seemed to have went away.

A few days ago, I upgraded to Netscape 6. Tried downloading an audio clip from a website, and it froze in the middle. I had to do control, option escape to force quit and restart. That just made things worse, because I got an error when restarting that said "Sorry, a systen error occured. Apple audio extension address error. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key." I did that, but it didn't fix anything.

I now have no help features in Photoshop 5.5 , Illustrator 8, imovie 2, Free Hand, Flash 4. Photoshop will not let me save images for the web. All my desktop icons look like generic rectangles with words under them. The icons no longer have the unique picture of application. When I click on the icons for desktop applications, they won't open. I get a message that says, "The document could not be opened because the application that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators" Yet, when I open the application (any of them) I can open the same document (s) from within the program.
Any suggestions? Please help?

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 12:27 AM

Rebuild your desktop.

(21)

Cipher13
Apr 10, 2001, 04:49 AM

Hold apple and option as the Finder loads to rebuild the desktop.
That won't cure it all though.

1. Re enable your extensions
2. Restore those apps if need be - their help is missing cause components are missing due to your restore of the system which I assume you performed.
3. Do a System Core install - then delete your Finder and System file, and their preferences, and replace the Finder and System with copies from the core install. Then delete the core install.

Reboot, and zap the PRAM by holding Apple-Option-P-R at startup and letting go upon the third chime.

If that doesn't work, report back here for more.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules