Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Program memory problems

Program memory problems
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2001, 01:57 AM

I am running OS 9.1 on a PB Ti 400 and sometimes when I attempt to open another program (multitask) it says "There is not enough memory to run the app try quitting other apps, etc." Then when I check the memory situation in the finder it says that I have X amount of available memory except that this amound isn't equal to the overall amount minus the amount being used. Is there some unmentioned memory usage? I never had this problem on my Pismo with the same amount of memory.

Allah
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2001, 10:26 PM

What may be happenning is that there is not enough continous memory to run that app. If you open apps A, B, and C then quit B and open D then you've fragmented your RAM.
I have my Application Switcher set to display the icons in reverse launch order so I can see if I'm about to quit an app and leave a big hole in my RAM availablity.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth
Carp� Bandwidth

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2001, 11:28 PM

The simple answer is that you need to allocate more memory to your applications. If you don't know how to do it, use the Finder Help menu for instructions. Open it and type "adjusting your memory usage." Follow the instructions. You don't mention how much RAM you have, but since it's a Ti, I imagine it's no less than 128 MB--so, increase the allocated memory by at least 50% to all of your applications, and in the case of graphics-intensive apps, double the allocation. With 128 MB of RAM, I'd also turn on Virtual Memory, if you haven't done so already--do that in the Memory Control Panel. Just set it at one MB over what you have in actual physical RAM. Once you get up to a couple of hundred MB or physical RAM, you may find that VM is superfluous. Folks argue about this all the time, though.

------------------
Klaatu borada nicto.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules