Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 41 hour indexing time. aargh!!

41 hour indexing time. aargh!!
Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2001, 02:01 PM

Last night my G4 indexed all night . Thats 9 hours. When I woke up there was 41 hours left so I stoped it.

Last index was done 3 days ago.
stuff done between indexing:
- installed Iomega tools
- changed lots of icons to custom icons (no system icons)
- Rebuilt the desktop( been about 4 mos since last rebuild)
- other minor work

G4 mp 450 , 18 of 30 gigs used , OS 9.0.4

The longest index before this was 2 hours, and I though that was wierd. Usually it takes 5 to 15 min.

Anybody know whats going on?
Later
Chuck

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 02:04 PM

I'd try verifying and repairing your disk with Disk First Aid and/or Norton Disk Doctor, something is not right there and just letting indexing run is not going to help.

Chuck_star  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2001, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the response SJ. Tryed both ,as well as, Zap and rebuild, trash preffs, DW.
Anything else? anyone
Later
Chuck

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2001, 06:37 PM

Were you using any indexing options (in Sherlock > file > prefs)? I'm not sure, but it's possible that by changing some folder icons, you changed the indexing parameters.

Some things that tend to speed up Sherlock generally:

1) In Sherlock, go to edit > prefs > languages and turn off any languages you don't need.

2) In edit > prefs, move the responsiveness slider to "less responsive". This will give the maximum processing power to Sherlock.

3) Use the indexing options in edit > prefs to limit indexing to folders that really need it.

4) Indexing can be sped up significantly by allocating more memory to Sherlock. Go to system folder > extensions > find folder. Highlight the Find by Content Indexing icon, then go to file > get info > memory, and give it as much preferred memory as you can spare.

Hope this helps in some way.

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2001, 06:46 PM

What is that indexing stuff It started doing it to me too it was going to take three hours so i stopped it
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2001, 09:13 PM

Pete: Your Sherlock search application (look for it on the Apple menu) automatically does a search of all of the text documents on your hard drive, and indexes the results. That way, when you use Sherlock to do a word search, it already has the information in its index and can give you the results right away, rather than search the entire drive. You can turn it off, or re-schedule it, by opening Sherlock, then going to Find > Index Volumes. If you want to turn it off, un-check the "Use Schedule" box. If you want to re-schedule it, click on the "Schedule" button. I don't do much text-searching so I have it turned off.

The first time it indexes, it can take a long time. After that, it should only need a few minutes to update its index.

Chuck_star  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2001, 02:42 AM

Hey zigzag thanks for all the info but unfortunately for me, I'm already set up like you've suggested. To everyone else it works well.
Anything else before I try a reinstall?
Later
Chuck

pdf4
Apr 4, 2001, 09:04 AM

Is there a fix yet for Sherlock to find by content Acrobat files greater than 3.0?

"the filter that does the text extraction from Acrobat files handles only PDF version 1.2 and earlier (that is, files created with Acrobat 3.0 and earlier)." (from http://www.macfixit.com/reports/macos8.6-a.shtml#stall)

Apple_John
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2001, 11:32 PM

Chuck_star, did you found you HD noiser than last index?

I too having a similar problem w/ my cube and the HD is much louder than before. I am not sure is there a relation. I don't index my drive now so I don't bother w/ it.

Chuck_star  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2001, 02:54 AM

No, my HD has not changed in volume.

I've fixed tthe problem though.

SOLUTION:
Delete Index
Create new index

Thanks to all for your responses
Chuck
Later
Chuck

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2001, 11:54 PM

Actually zigzag, your definition is flawed.

Sherlock indexing will take the text from each file, and make a huge index of that text, so you can use the search by content feature (looking for text in the documents). It will doing absolutely nothing for the other search options, and IMHO, is a waste of disk space (I have never used the seach by content feature, and have been using sherlock since it's introduction.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules