Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Web Server?

Web Server?
rellinb
Jun 14, 2000, 04:29 PM

I want to setup my LC3 (250mg hd, 12mg ram, dsl connection) as a web server for my personal use. What OS should I use (netbsd, linux, macos)? What server software should I use? I don't want to spend ANY money on it, so it would all have to be freeware. Any thoughts?

------------------
Brian Rellinger
Desktop Support Coordinator
Bowling Green State University

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2000, 06:50 PM

You could use Linux, if you want to learn how to use Apache... everything is free and Apache is as good as it gets in my estimation as a web server. Debian http://www.debian.org/ supports the Motorola 680x0 architecture (denoted as m68k). Their last stable build can be downloaded here.Another route is use Quid Pro Quo. I currently use both, and have been pleased with both (in my estimation, Quid Pro Quo is easier to set up, especially considering the fact you already have the Mac OS on your computer... although its feature set may not be as robust as Apache). According to their web site, the requirements are (I assume the requirements are the same for the free version):

"Quid Pro Quo Plus 2.1 works on any 68020 or better Macintosh, Power Macintosh, or MacOS-compatible computer running System 7.5 or later. The Quid Pro Quo Plus 2.1 application requires at least 3.5 MB of RAM to run. System 7.1 is supported, so long as Apple's Thread Manager extension is installed. Server-side Java support requires MacOS Runtime for Java (version 1.5 or later recommended, available for free from Apple). Also required is Open Transport 1.1 or later or MacTCP 2.0.x. Open Transport 1.3 or later is required for full IP address-based multihoming."

Quid Pro Quo is free, and can be downloaded at http://www.socialeng.com/html/download.html . Be sure to download Quid Pro Quo (its free), not Quid Pro Quo Plus (it isn't free).

Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Chris

Avon
Senior User
Jun 17, 2000, 10:32 PM

I recomend you use system 7.6 and a free web server such as Netpresenz (www.stairways.com)
or mac http.

this is really simple and higly efective. I used to use a quadra 630 running netpresenz. It works great, and acceptably fast.

I dont think it is worth the trouble of instaling linux on a 68030, it is a royal pain in the but.

I think system 7.6 and a netpresenz or mac http is the best way to use a 68030 as a web server. Best of all it will take up little space on your small HD.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2000, 10:13 AM

I agree with Avon. At one point I tried to run Quid Pro Quo on an SE/30. It was the slowest server I had ever used. You could probably try Apple Personal Web Sharing 1.0b8 if you can find a copy of it (shouldn't be hard, its still up on Apple's website somewhere AFAIK) or Microsoft Personal Web Server (It was included with older versions of IE)

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2000, 03:17 PM

netpresentz is no longer free, and no demo is availible

------------------
-See Yea!

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2000, 10:05 PM

What do you mean "no demo is available"? A quick search on VersionTracker yeilds a link at http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....presenz-41.hqx

That link lets me download NetPresenz 4.1. Is that illegal?

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

[This message has been edited by Simon Kornblith (edited 06-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Simon Kornblith (edited 06-20-2000).]

rellinb
Jun 21, 2000, 09:17 AM

Well, I tried Debian Linux multiple times on the LC3. The short of it is that I couldn't get it to work. So I've ordered a Mac 6100 from pcliquidator.com for $50, and I'm going to install LinuxPPC on it. I've used LinuxPPC before, and the installation is a LOT smoother....

Wish me luck.

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2000, 08:34 PM

Linux PPC requires a PCI based PowerMac. It won't work with the 6100. I think FreeBSD supports the 6100, however.

rellinb
Jun 21, 2000, 08:44 PM

Good point. What are my other options?

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2000, 09:54 PM

As far as I know, only MkLinux and Debian currently support the NuBus architecture. Several of the aforementioned Mac titles (Quid Pro Quo, Netpresenz) will work as well.

Cheers!
Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules