Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TV Tuner

TV Tuner
funkymonkey
Jun 12, 2000, 04:11 PM

I want to put a TV tuner in my PowerTowerPro with a powerlogix G3. any recommendations?
I'm wondering if there are any issues with the G3 upgrade and video input.. thanks

levytv
Jun 15, 2000, 12:58 PM

i've run both the ati tv tuner card and the ixmicro card in a powertowerpro 225 with a newertech g3 card and there are no issues. i use mine on a second monitor.

ZFrame
Jun 15, 2000, 01:33 PM

I have seen the ATI tuner in action, and I like the quality of the broadcast. I personally have the Formac ProTV, the quality is nice and the video capture is good, the best thing about the Formac is that for the audio you run a passthrough cable from your CDROM audio into the card, so you don't have any funky wires hanging out of the back that diable your microphone.

The biggest problem with the Formac lies in the software. It is somewhat buggy, and not very user friendly, it has a horrible tendency to restore factory defauts when you open the preferences window.

Happy shopping

JFK
Jun 15, 2000, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by ZFrame:
I have seen the ATI tuner in action, and I like the quality of the broadcast. I personally have the Formac ProTV, the quality is nice and the video capture is good, the best thing about the Formac is that for the audio you run a passthrough cable from your CDROM audio into the card, so you don't have any funky wires hanging out of the back that diable your microphone.
Oh, baloney.

ATI's XClaim TV does not disable your microphone. You plug your microphone into the purple TV/video pod, and the pod into the computer. It's a pass-through, just like an internal one. And having the external pod gives you much more room, with plenty of connectors and RF isolation for the TV cable.

mccabem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2000, 06:21 PM

I ready many, many user complaints about the Xclaim 128 VR card.

Hope MacNN doesn't mind the cross-pollination:

<http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/Forum3/HTML/003916.html>
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

bugs
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2000, 01:55 AM

I have the the ixMicro TV card in my 9600. Don't let anyone trick you into buying one of these- they suck. Company is out of business last I heard.

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

bugs
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2000, 01:57 AM

I have the the ixMicro TV card in my 9600. Don't let anyone trick you into buying one of these- they suck. Company is out of business last I heard.

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

milocat
Jun 16, 2000, 07:40 PM

Man, the TV card scene really does suck the big one when it comes to the mac.
ATI TV tuner is good, but you need AV input slots before you can use it.
IX micro's got crappy image quality (i have one) and company is out of business, and they don't support OS 9 (i am still on 8.6 because of it)
FOrmac is buggy.

Is there something else out there? HELP!

Nyarlathotep
Jun 17, 2000, 02:25 AM

I've found that:

�the ixTv does occasionally weird things, but has excellent image quality and can capture all video I throw at it.

�the ATI VR 128 is horribly flawed. The image quality is mediocre at best. You can't capture audio along with video. And you can't even watch most prerecorded cassettes, due to a conflict with MacroVision.

The situation does, indeed, suck.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2000, 08:36 AM

Use a VCR, which has its own tuner. Then all you need is a video card, and a Video Player application.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 12:26 AM

Well if you're goona do that, why not just watch TV and shut your Mac off.

------------------
I see dead people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules