Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Crashes in PCC PowerCenter with Newer 500/250 MHZ PCI Card

Crashes in PCC PowerCenter with Newer 500/250 MHZ PCI Card
dede289723
May 5, 2000, 12:09 AM

I just bought a Newer Technology 500/250 MHz G3 PCI upgrade card for my PowerComputing PowerCenter. This PowerCenter has a IBM 4.5GB SCSI-2 hard drive, IBM 4.5 GB LVD drive connected to a Hammerstorage Jackhammer Ultra-Wide SCSI controller, 40X-Pioneer Ultra-SCSI CD-ROM drive, Number Nine Imagine 128 8 MB Series 2 video card, a Micro Conversions GameWizard Voodoo2 PCI card, 160 MB RAM, and running Mac OS 8.1. Whenever I play games such as Tomb Raider II, Quake, Quake II, FutureCop, and Unreal, my PowerCenter is rock stable. However, whenever I run AOL 4.0, Virex 6.0, or copy a file such as Tomb Raider II 1.0.3 Updater from a homemade data CD to my IBM 4.5 GB SCSI-2 hard drive, my computer crashes hard. My computer crashes with Newer's MAXpowr software version 1.3.9. I removed this software and installed Newer's MAXpowr software version 2.0.4. My computer still crashes. Also, I tried narrowing down my extensions set to a bare minimum set when running the above applications or copying files from that homemade CD to my hard drive and my computer still crashes. Have you or others you know have experienced crashes after installing the Newer Technology 500/250 MHz PCI card in their Mac or Mac clone? If yes, please post in this topice how you or others have corrected the crashes. Thanks.

David

[This message has been edited by dede289723 (edited 05-05-2000).]

Mr645
May 5, 2000, 10:59 AM

I put a Powerlogix 500/250 G3 (card & ZIF) card in my Power Center Pro 210 and while it never crashed, I had problems with sound. All system sounds would go out after a while. CD'w always played but games would go silent. After working with PowerLogix tech's for a while I sent the card back. To be honest, the 210mhz 604e set up is pretty fast so I decided to wait before looking for another CPU upgrade.

Jon

murany
Jun 26, 2000, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by dede289723:
I just bought a Newer Technology 500/250 MHz G3 PCI upgrade card for my PowerComputing PowerCenter. This PowerCenter has a IBM 4.5GB SCSI-2 hard drive, IBM 4.5 GB LVD drive connected to a Hammerstorage Jackhammer Ultra-Wide SCSI controller, 40X-Pioneer Ultra-SCSI CD-ROM drive, Number Nine Imagine 128 8 MB Series 2 video card, a Micro Conversions GameWizard Voodoo2 PCI card, 160 MB RAM, and running Mac OS 8.1. Whenever I play games such as Tomb Raider II, Quake, Quake II, FutureCop, and Unreal, my PowerCenter is rock stable. However, whenever I run AOL 4.0, Virex 6.0, or copy a file such as Tomb Raider II 1.0.3 Updater from a homemade data CD to my IBM 4.5 GB SCSI-2 hard drive, my computer crashes hard. My computer crashes with Newer's MAXpowr software version 1.3.9. I removed this software and installed Newer's MAXpowr software version 2.0.4. My computer still crashes. Also, I tried narrowing down my extensions set to a bare minimum set when running the above applications or copying files from that homemade CD to my hard drive and my computer still crashes. Have you or others you know have experienced crashes after installing the Newer Technology 500/250 MHz PCI card in their Mac or Mac clone? If yes, please post in this topice how you or others have corrected the crashes. Thanks.

David

[This message has been edited by dede289723 (edited 05-05-2000).]
I have a PCC Power Tower Pro 200, and just installed a Newer Tech 500/250 G3 upgrade card. My computer wouldn't even boot up until I reset it to almost the basic set of extensions.

Now it is working, but when ever I print from Illustrator or PhotoShop, the cursor moves in slow motion and jittery untill the job is sent to the printer.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2000, 07:56 AM

Can't help you guys out here, but I will throw in that I've been using an XLR8 G3/500 upgrade in my PowerCenter 150 since last year and have never had any problems with it.

Same with Sonnet's G3/500, although I only used it for a few months (eval unit).

I've generally found XLR8's cards to be best for "tweakers" while Sonnet's cards are best for those who like to "set it and forget about it."

Chito
Senior User
Jun 26, 2000, 09:31 AM

try removing the L2 cache that is on your mother board. The G3 upgrades have a backside cache and sometimes that causes problems. I have a Power Center Pro 240 with a Railgun 275 mhz. G3 card and although the old L2 cache was mapped as L3 the computer runs much more stable with the old L2 removed. It's worth a try.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules