Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > old Data General monitor on 68K, adaptor?

old Data General monitor on 68K, adaptor?
voicelit glove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 03:39 AM

LC 630, 68K , OS 8.1 , 12MB ( VM 28 or more )

Okay, really freaking out now. Wrote to all the forums about putting a PC monitor on this Mac. Get a basic " okay " . Got the " db15 male to hd 15female " ( though not from Griffen, but something called " compu kit " ) with 10 switches. So, the mom and I head over to the thrift shop to grab a cheap monitor. ( money's a problem here ) Not thinking one non-mac monitor is much different from another , with the help of the store owner, we settle on what he thinks is either a VGA or possibly Super VGA ... trying to figure this from the pins ( twelve : a row of 5, then a row of 4 - three then skip then one - then a row of 3 - one then skip then 2 then skip ... 5, 4, 3... though maybe that's upside down ) ... Why they don't list this on the monitor , ahhhghgh .... So , what did we get ( drum roll ) a Data General from 1993 ! So far a web search has turned up no specs on this. .. might not even be a monitor for all I know. ( in New York , I'm happily using a View Sonic I found in the trash , no problem ) So, attach up all the adapters, fire up the machine nothing ( guy in the shop said I wouldn't be needing to change any switches ) ... so, begins the saga of trying to discern from the meager info that came with the adapter what switch posistion I might need . But there's a long list of monitors to pick from , frequencies , switch posistions underMac / multi - synch; and way more possibilities under mac / IBM which has six different modes ( composite synch1, comp synch 2 , synch on V , synch on H , separate synch , synch on green ) then a list of various monitor , resolution options depending on the mode . This might be possible if I could begin to find out what kind of monitor I have ( maybe not ) ... any ideas ? All I can get from the back of the monitor is model number " cm 14 14 tlr " "110 - 240 - v ~1.0a , 50 - 60 hz , Aug. 1993 . Again 12 pins in 3 rows ( 5 , 4 , 3 ) see above. Thanks for ANY help !!!! marty ( yes , I've been restarting the computer with each new pin arrangement )

Forum Links
Forum Rules