Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > powersupply for europe

powersupply for europe
landsw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2001, 05:30 PM

anyone know what i would need powersupply wise to use anything from a 7100 to a 8500 in europe?
thanks
r

vivaldi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 09:06 AM

on my 7600 there is a switch between 230 V and 110 V (or something). it's under the powersupply. and you will need the right cable but europe isn't europe it depends on the country you will go.

vivaldi

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2001, 02:07 PM

The same with my 7300, there is a switch between 220 volt and 110 volt.

When in Europe, be absolutely sure that you never attach your Mac to the power socket with this switch in the 110 volt position. Also, never throw this switch when the Mac is running (I did this once with a 4400 and the result was a sudden need of a new power supply. They are really expensive).

As to the cable, you will get such a cable cheap in any electronics store in the country you are going to (these cables are not Mac-specific at all).

Good luck.

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 01-30-2001).]

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 09:34 PM

I don't beleve the 7100 has a switch like the new PCI based Macs. and I am not sure if it will auto-switch the curent load.

VRL
Senior User
Feb 17, 2001, 06:23 PM

Most of my Macs can be plugged into 110 or 220. Just buy an inexpensive replacement power cable and plug it in. (I have three older Macs - 5200, 550, 5215CD that are now plugged into 220, requiring nothing special. i.e., no manual switching required.) The back of the computer has the specs. Look for 100-230Volts: 50-60 Hz. Open the operating manual to check if there's anything in there.
I've also seen the little switches - I usually put a little sticker on those to remind me that I need to check it before plugging it in.

Have a good one.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Mike696
Mar 7, 2001, 12:55 PM

If the Mac doesn't have a switch then it will Auto-Switch. I only found out about the switch after a friend of mine plugged in the machine with the wrong volatage selected. Puff of smoke. New power supply.
As far as the cable goes don't bother with a new one, just get an adapter for the plug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules