Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Word Processing - Appleworks?

Word Processing - Appleworks?
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2001, 01:48 PM

Hi,

If one is looking for a word proccesor/spreadsheet for home use, is Applworks worth consideration, accepting the tradeoff of features/power for a much much lower sticker price? Is wordperfect totally dead or might it make a comeback with OSX? Finally, is there any other competition out there that I am unaware of?

Thanks

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2001, 01:58 PM

I'm an author/publisher (technical manual) selling across Canada and the U.S. successfully.

Created everything, including the cover and spine using AppleWorks. When I went to print
houses to contract volume printing, they thought at first glance that everything was done
using a professional program like Quark - they were amazed when I told them it was done
in AW.

It took two years of 10 to 12 hour days - but it can be done!

AW 5.0.4, in my opinion, is the best bargain out there considering the small footprint on
your hard drive and the relatively low cost. Cannot say the same for AW 6.x which dropped
many translators, and who knows what else.

WDL

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 02:11 PM

I still use Claris Works at home. Whatever I want to do, it can handle. Fancy features are sometimes over rated. Who cares if a "more powerful" program can save you one click in a 5 step process? I use the spreadsheet, word processing, database, and drawing functions, in that order from most to least. It works for me, and, as you say, it's inexpensive.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

krb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 03:57 PM

I've been using AW since it was originally on the Apple II. I'm currently using v5.03 and I'm still discovering its features (although the Mac version is a far cry from the Apple II days). It's powerful to be such as small app. I currently use it to publish a newsletter and full color directory for my church, as well as for personal tasks.

Davidarm
Mar 7, 2001, 04:25 AM

My wife uses AW6 daily on her iBook and loves it. We have a copy of Office, but she prefers AW. WordPerfect is dead - Corel can barely stay out of bankruptcy.

Cipher13
Mar 7, 2001, 02:43 PM

AW5 is the best.
6 is awful, and so is Office. Talk about bloatware.
Get AppleWorks 5 and you'll never even consider another app.

Cipher13

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 03:36 PM

My wife swears by Appleworks... very powerful, yet simple to use...
dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by ddiokno:
My wife swears by Appleworks... very powerful, yet simple to use...
dave
After I posted, I realized that I should qualify the posting... my wife is the perennial newbie who needs help with every little aspect of the computer... that was why I thought she would be a good example of an adotper of a program, it works for her (not only works, but works well) and she puts it to good use with her students (special ed) creating newsletters, flyers, and the like...
dave

posthumanus
Senior User
Mar 8, 2001, 08:02 AM

thought i'd drop this in here instead of starting anew.

stumbled across it in Oz MacWorld mag (march 00 / p.86) and thought it might be handy.

quote (paraphrased):

when trying to import a document to or from AppleWorks you may experience a problem: AppleWorks reports it can�t find necessary translation software, or you have fewer file-format choices than you expected.

but when you look in the Claris translation folder the translation files are all there. this problem usually occurs after copying files to a new computer or hard disk and then using AppleWorks from the new hardware.

solution is to open the Claris translation folder, select all files (command-A) and drag to desktop, then drag �em all back in and close the window.

apparently this aids the import/export of files.

haven�t had a chance to test drive yet, but it�s there in b&w so it might work.

posthumanus out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules