Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Booting into open firmware problem

Booting into open firmware problem
machdreamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 03:37 PM

My B&W G3 500 has suddenly started booting into open firmware at every startup and I can't get it to stop. I also can't continue booting. All I can do is restart. Why would it suddenly start doing this? Why the %@#*ing #@&* won't it stop? Oh, and why will it boot from a CD but not from either of the internal HDs.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Rob

Octo
Mar 1, 2001, 08:31 PM

Try zapping your PRAM, which will restore the default configuration.
Command-Option-P-R, on boot up, hold them down until you hear a second chime, then release and let your machine boot. If you still get the open firmware try typing boot and see what happens.

Art D
Mar 2, 2001, 02:05 AM

Hi machdreamer,

In order to boot the computer from the hard drive, "Open Firmware" (in the boot ROM) needs to load the "Mac OS ROM" file (found in the System Folder) into memory. If that file was corrupt, it could not be loaded into memory. If, however, the Mac OS ROM file on the CD was okay, the computer could start up from the CD.

You say you can boot the computer from a CD. Is the OS version, on that CD, the same as the OS version on your hard disk? If so, try replacing the Mac OS ROM file on the hard drive with a copy of the one in the System Folder on the CD.

Be sure to check the version number of both Mac OS ROM files in the "Get Info" window (under the File menu). Make sure the versions are the same before replacing the one on the hard drive.

I can't be sure this will solve the problem of the computer starting up in firmware, but it might be worth a try.

Art

machdreamer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 02:24 AM

Actually, this is just getting weirder. This B&W G3, which has been running various iterations of OS 9.1 since September (when I became an ADC member) and has been running the final version for a month now will not boot with 9.1 on the HD. It'll boot from 8.5, 8.6, 9.0 and 9.0.4 (yeah, I've loaded new system software on this damn thing eight times today!) but ends up in Open Firmware *unrecoverably* with 9.1. It will boot from the 9.1 CD. I've loaded 9.1 from two seperate CDs and even downloaded the upgrade. Nothin'.

I've never been this puzzled by a Mac. Good thing I have a new 733 on order.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2001, 08:48 AM

Did you install any iteration of Mac OS X (PB+)? You may want to reformat or initialize.

When I have trouble and either cant boot or drops into Open Firmware, you know it is almost like DOS there don't you? DIR and all the device registry stuff.

setenv boot-device ultra0:,\\:tbxi
mac-boot

Forum Links
Forum Rules