Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Black Panic screen, Can't install OS 10.1 on G4 867

Black Panic screen, Can't install OS 10.1 on G4 867
Juicebox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 01:23 AM

Hello!

Strange problem. i have a G4 867. One hardrrive has 9.2 the other 10.1. I switch to use os x software. The other day when i wanted to go X, I get a black screen, lots of white code? I tried reinstalling OSX and when it tries to start-up from the original CD i get the same black screen?

I even tried this with my Ethernet cable and all USB cables removed. Same thing. Even swapped out my CD drive just in case.

Any ideas? I need OS X to burn some SVCDs. Can't on 9.2.

Thanks

Max

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 03:49 PM

Have you tried running any disk repair utils on the X drive like Disk Warrior, Norton, Tech Tool etc? Did you install any strange drivers or anything that would cause the X drive to panic? If so, maybe boot into 9 and try to delete them. I've only had kernel panics cause by hardware, cheap USB hubs and stuff. Definitely remove all attached peripherals so you can determine if it's a software of hardware problem.

Juicebox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 04:05 PM

Hello!

I will try those programs. I don't think I installed an OS X stuff last time I used it. Could it be hardware. Like I said, I get the same screen when I boot to the original 10.1 installer CD? So I'm thinking it isn't system software.

I did remove the D-link hub, and also the ethernet cable to my cable modem. Same thing.

Thanks.

Cipher13
Apr 1, 2002, 07:17 AM

What does the black and white screen say?

Is it a kernel panic, or just single user mode?

Can you type?

If so, type exit and hit enter.

Try the OSX forum, this is an OSX problem. This is the OS <= 9 forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules