Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Only Some Sounds on 6100/66

Only Some Sounds on 6100/66
pinkoos
Forum Regular
May 1, 2002, 09:47 PM

Hello,

I just picked up a cheap 6100/66 off eBay and have a question regarding the sound.

I hooked up external speakers to the audio out port on the back.

The system plays the system sounds (alerts) fine through the speakers. An audio CD also plays fine through the speakers.

However, any software that generates sound does not play through the speakers. For example, Super Tetris, Tetris, Pacman, etc. doesn't play sounds or music through the speakers even though their audio tracks are turned on.

Does anybody know what's up with this. I bought this computer for my brother b/c he had some music software he wanted to run on it. However, if I can't get the audio to work, it wouldn't be a good thing!

Thanks in advance.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 05:15 AM

Let's put it this way. If the system sounds are working, and a music CD plays, then the next step is to install the software you are really going to use and see if it works.

Games are not a good way to base a machine's sound performance on. There are a number of factors which will affect the sound that comes out of a machine, like age of the program, age of the OS install and the quality of the actual programming behind the game.

If you do not have his music software, grab iTunes from Apple and rip and replay some mp3s. If they work then your sound playback is fine.

But if system sounds work, and your startup chime works, then you sound system is fine and any respectable program shouldn't have trouble with it.

pinkoos  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by jeromep:
<STRONG>Let's put it this way. If the system sounds are working, and a music CD plays, then the next step is to install the software you are really going to use and see if it works.</STRONG>
You're right. I installed my brother's music software and everything worked fine.

So, I guess there's no problem after all.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules