Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Video System Card

Apple Video System Card
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2001, 11:12 PM

I recently accuired a PowerMac 6500. It has the Video card, the one that has RCA in and S-Video In (No RCA Out like my 7500) I noticed that the card also has a plug on it, And my question is, what is this plug for? I know it's not fo rhte TVTuner, because I have that too and that plugs directly into the wire harness. DOes anyone know?

------------------
Make Money With Your Macintosh!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 02:04 PM

I believe that is a piggyback plug for the RCA and S-vhs out (we have one at the office that I can check tomorrow, but if I remember correctly, that is what we used it for). I know that we had some machines that only had the video in ports (6500's), and some that had both in and out, so that would be my guess...
dave

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2001, 02:16 PM

You sure about that, I've seen RCA Audio out, but i've never seen any RCA or S video out, I thought you need some other sort of connector for that. Besides there's no holes in the face of the card for that. But if I am wrong and you are right, what are those pieces called, so I can find one on ebay, because that is exactly what i need.

------------------
Make Money With Your Macintosh!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 08:06 AM

Just checked the machine we have here... there are two different port locations. The RCA in and SVHS IN are above the PCI slots next to the serial ports. The RCA and SVHS OUTports are below the PCI slots (above the NIC card and below the audio jacks). I just opened the machine and there was no connection between the two cards (with the slot you asked about empty)
dave

finboy
Apr 9, 2001, 04:29 PM

The video-in card should have two RCA audio-in jacks, a yellow video-in jack and an S-video in jack on the outside of the case.

Inside the case, there's a connector for a video processor card. On earlier machines (5200, 6200, etc.) that have an LC slot and not a PCI slot, they used the Apple MPEG card to process MPEG on playback (they will not record to MPEG using the card's coprocessor, unfortunately). There is a data cable between the Video-in card and the MPEG card.

On later machines, Apple made an Avid card that fit in the PCI slot and used an adapter to connect to the older cards (supposedly), or used a 60-pin cable. The Rev A, B, and C video-in cards will work with the older LC MPEG cards for playback, and the Rev D video input cards will work with a 60-pin cable and the Avid PCI card. The Avid card has video out on it as well, I think.

Some of the other machines, like the 5500 all-in-one, came with the video-out installed just above the motherboard on the right side of the back of the machine. This would be right next to the commslot on the 6400/6500 machines, but the video-out connector actually goes up to close to the edge connector on the motherboard (I'm speaking from looking at a 5400/200 Alchemy board).

Hope this helps.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules