Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Supermac C500i 200MHz

Supermac C500i 200MHz
slider
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2002, 09:46 PM

This is not my machine, it's my bosses sons. He was apparently having problems connecting with AOL (not my machine) and printing with an Epson stylus 600 serial, as well as some other problems I am not aware of. I did a clean install with the original CD and then installed up to Mac OS 9.1. The OS runs fine, but the problems still exist, this is very strange to me. I have done the same thing to three other supermac 500's in the office and they all run on the network running fine (considering there age). Some of the symptoms are, trying to launch AOL (not my machine), it starts up does all of it's loading (whatever) and then just closes, no window or errors. TCP/IP settings are set up using AOL's setup, and I have tried two different modems (ran out of options). The printer problems was setting selecting the printer and then trying to select the printer port instead of the modem port, it just kept giving my the same message saying that appletalk or some other application was using to port. NO, I have appletalk off and there is no other software running that would use the port, remember I did a clean install. The Serial cables are going to the right pieces, and the modem is set to use the modem port, I really don't have a clue. My final solution was to print the specs from the apple store of the CRT iMac, cheap guy. But I started to feel a little guilty, so I am asking if anyone has a clue as to what I might try. My reasoning is that if I did a clean install (I initialized the HD and then reinstalled from the install CD) and that did not fix the problem, then it must be hardware related. I really started getting back into Mac's with the first iMac so I am lacking some experience with legacy macs. Thanks for you time.

Edit: originally put Supermac 600

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: slider ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules