Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IXMicro ix3D UltimateRez 8MB PCI question

IXMicro ix3D UltimateRez 8MB PCI question
Elshaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 09:55 AM

I recently saw this card advertised and wondered if anyone is using it on both OS 9 and OS X. I have a 7500 that has been upgraded with a G3 and wondered if anyone has experience with this card? If not, can someone recommend a good, preferably cheap, alternative that works on both 9 and X?

Cheers,
Gary

Britney F.
Mar 24, 2002, 10:47 AM

This card does work. I am using it now in my PowerTower Pro with a XLR8 G3 450 running OS 9.1 & OS 10.1.3. The only problem with this card is that there are no acceleration drivers for it in X. Therefore all video in X is un-accelerated. But it does work.

I just noticed that you have a 7500 which has on-board video that could cause you problems unless you have a monitor connected to the on-board video and the IXMicro card.

Britney

Elshaw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2002, 06:30 PM

Thanks Britney, Is there any way to disable the onboard video? There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in the 9 and X world, maybe my real question should be what video cards are supported on the 7500 for both OS 9 and X?

All the best,
Gary

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 08:39 AM

I have an 8500 with an iX Micro 8Mb card, a friend gave it to me. Using it and the onboard video to run dual monitors. I was happily surprised to find "new" drivers for it in the 9.1 install.
I only run the 8500 in 9.1, OS X seems too slow, even with a G3-450 and 700+MB RAM.
To disable the onboard video, just make sure you have no monitor or adapter plugged into MoBo video connector, plug in to your card.
You may also have to restart or zap the PRAM.
Whenever I shut the 8500 down(rarely) I sometimes have to remove the monitor from the card and restart, then plug in the second monitor to the card as it starts up.

Zack

Britney F.
Mar 27, 2002, 11:59 AM

Gary,

Right now I know of no way to disable the onboard video. However Ryan Rempel said he found a fix and will be incorporating it into the next version of XPosFacto.

Britney

Elshaw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 07:31 PM

Thanks Britney, that's some good news, i'll hold off until Ryan comes up with a fix; i can't imagine anything worse than plugging/unplugging the monitor during restarts etc. I've managed to fry two power supply units by doing stupid things in the last year and would just hate to have to go through all of that again.

I'll keep looking around and see if there are some other options. I was even contemplating buying one of the new ATI 7000 units, but it seems it may be limited to the B&W's as far as backwards compatibility goes, but i did find this on apple's site the other day. Please excuse the sheer volume of the url.
http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?...20Cards&-skipR ecords=0&-maxRecords=20&-search

Some of these are older ATI cards, so i'm assuming some of them will work in both 9 and X. I'm still hoping this is going to be possible...

Cheers,
Gary

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 07:47 PM

I'm using it in my DigitalAudio dual533 G4 now, and it works fine. I had it in an 8500/G3upgraded with OS9 and OSX and it ran fine. some older ati cards won't work but some do YMMV (I have two different ones, and the Mach64 one works, but the RagePro (maybe its a RageII from an XClaimVR, anyone?) doesn't work and I don't think it ever will in OSX. With that card installed the machine won't recognize it and won't boot.

You should have no problems using this card in normal use. Just note the unaccellerated aspects of using it. Its great for a second monitor.

The IXMicro works fine.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Beatheavy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 12:44 AM

xlr8yourmac.com look there there is a way to disable onboard vid.

Elshaw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2002, 09:10 PM

Thanks, i'll go and take a look. Things are looking better all the time!

Forum Links
Forum Rules