Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerMac 6100 and ethernet?

PowerMac 6100 and ethernet?
Trapper
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2001, 03:51 PM

Hello:

I have the chance to pick up a PowerMac 6100 for free. My intention is to put it in my office and use purely as word processor to finish my dissertation on. However, I'd like to hook it up to the network at work so I can transfer files back and forth between work and home (where I have an iMac), and use e-mail and light web-surfing. Here is my question(s):
-Does the 6100 come with an ethernet connection?
-If not, do I need a specific type of card for this model?
-Do I need some sort of ethernet adapter to get this card to work?

This information would really help me out, so if you have any input whatsoever, please consider replying to me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks-you,

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

Wetsponge
Mar 1, 2001, 04:13 PM

the 6100's have an AAUI ethernet connection, it was designed to allow the user to choose between the then less popular RJ45 connection (what is currently a standard) or the more popular coax connector for token ring configurations, but enough for the history connection.

you need to purchase an AAUI to ethernet transceiver, the orginal apple part number is M0437. you can find these on ebay fairly cheaply, just do a search for ethernet transceiver in the apple section, and you should find some.
alternatively you might find some resellers that sell them, look in the back of many macintosh publications for companies/websites that sell classic mac parts.

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2001, 12:01 AM

asante also made the transceivers, only I liked them better than apple's. They were cheaper too.

You should find these on ebay as well. It doesn't have to be made by apple to work just fine...

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2001, 01:21 PM

There are also 10BaseT transceivers by Dayna (a company that no longer exists, as far as I know, but well renowned in its days) and AESP.

All of them, including the Apple brand and Asant� ones, will work properly on the 6100.

You could also use a network card (NuBus form factor), but such a card would cost you more than a transceiver and offer you no specific advantage.

Walter.

Allah
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2001, 06:01 PM

I just went to a used computer store and found both the RJ45 and BNC for $5 each!
Carp� Bandwidth

splyn
Mar 6, 2001, 11:18 PM

i have a starmax with no ethernet that i would like to connect to a network. obviously i need and ethernet card, but what else? are there any drivers needed for an ethernet card? what if i install Linux on the machine?

thanx in advance.

------------------
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here

Forum Links
Forum Rules