Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Pleasure Thread

The Minor Pleasure Thread (Page 6)
Thorzdad
Jun 2, 2024, 07:22 PM

Got a partial early father’s day gift delivered today, from my son and daughter-in-law. A box of books! Apparently more are coming. Very cool.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 17, 2024, 04:31 PM

I was looking through Marketplace trying to find a new chair for my gaming computer, daughter saw that pink chairs existed and loved the idea. I ran through Goodwill while out doing some errands and found a pink chair for $2.99. Minor pleasure.

Another minor pleasure - now she doesn't need to steal my computer when she wants to play Minecraft or Lego Fortnite (aka Minecraft).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2024, 05:08 PM

It’s good parenting her desk is cooler than yours.

It’s also good parenting to have the pile of cocaine under your keyboard and not hers.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 21, 2024, 07:55 PM

Regarding Amazon deliveries, they made a change to their tracking sometime recently.

In your Orders, click on the (Track package) button. You get a dialog with shipping info - with a map of your destination in the background. OK ...

I recently noticed the background map is active. When the delivery truck gets close (within 10 stops? of your delivery) the truck becomes visible. You can see it move around nearby streets coming to your address. The truck becomes invisible afterwards - no further tracking once it's no longer your business.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2024, 08:14 PM

They’ve had this for awhile.

Unfortunately, it’s mostly useless to me on my truck’s normal route. Three stops away is an entire hospital. That one stop can take hours.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2024, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Regarding Amazon deliveries, they made a change to their tracking sometime recently.

In your Orders, click on the (Track package) button. You get a dialog with shipping info - with a map of your destination in the background. OK ...

I recently noticed the background map is active. When the delivery truck gets close (within 10 stops? of your delivery) the truck becomes visible. You can see it move around nearby streets coming to your address. The truck becomes invisible afterwards - no further tracking once it's no longer your business.
I've had this for some time now. I think its usually 8 stops away it pings you a notification but the map is available at least a little before. I was waiting on one that needed a code the other day and I popped back to intercept it when it said 9 stops. Driver must have stopped for lunch because he didn't move for 60 minutes after that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2024, 05:35 PM

I get notifications when “your package is 10 stops away”, and the app’s map shows the truck.

I consider this a whole universe better than the UPS Tracking app. Their app shows where the truck is. But it does NOT show the driver’s required route. So it is actually normal for the truck to go past one’s neighborhood (maybe even one’s home) more than once before delivering the package. This is maddening. I mentioned it to a driver once, and he said simply “don’t bother watching, it’ll lie to you”. I assume that means the bit about passing your home several times.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2024, 06:28 PM

Last year, all the Dodge dealers around here were effectively unable to offer service. This precipitated a failed search for a new mechanic.

This year it’s been cleared up. I dropped it off today for my 9:30 appointment tomorrow morning. It’s already done.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Yesterday, 06:18 AM

Listening to the multipart review and discussion on the book "The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the fall of New York" by Robert Caro on the 99% Invisible podcast feed is a sublime delight. Superb historical, geographical, political and social education all rolled into one journey enhancing joy.
https://99percentinvisible.org/club/
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It’s good parenting her desk is cooler than yours.

It’s also good parenting to have the pile of cocaine under your keyboard and not hers.
Wait. The near left desk is my son's, he has an otter-themed desk mat. The far left desk is mine, it has random pieces of paper with drawings and dimensions on them. Which one is a pile of coke?

reader50
Administrator
Yesterday, 04:34 PM

The near-left mat. At first glance, it appears to have coke powder surrounding the keyboard. On closer look, it might be a bird head with white-ish feathers.

Good snuff. I actually looked for a razor blade, before deciding it was a bald eagle pic.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Today, 08:13 AM

The exact one is NLA from Amazon, but I think this one is similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Glaphy-Extend...0B3VK8NTG?th=1

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Today, 09:50 AM

I actually thought it was an eagle as well.

I also realized I have those same speakers in my workshop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules