Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Virtual Memory - Any alternative for memory mapping?

Virtual Memory - Any alternative for memory mapping?
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 09:03 AM

As we all know, if you are running VM, RAM requirements for applications go down. This is also the case if you're running something like RAM Doubler, which provides memory mapping. I need to run VM, as Apple's OS seems to be much less buggy while it is activated (likely too little RAM allocation for various OS components).

While RAM Doubler can in fact provide Memory Mapping without "doubling" RAM, providing the lower memory requirements, it will not load if you have 256 MB of physical RAM. I just want to use it for its memory mapping capabilities.

I don't want to use VM because I am using a PowerBook and I want to minimize HD spin. I also don't like the fact that Mac OS VM requires free HD space equivalent to your VM settings (RAM Doubler has no such requirement). This seriously encroahes on my Photoshop scratch disk space.

My question is... is there something out there besides RAM Doubler which can provide memory mapping without the limitations of Mac OS VM?

Thanks,

tonton
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2001, 02:45 AM

Hey peeps... any response?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

caifara
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2001, 02:51 PM

hi tonton,

maybe I've got something for ya: Memory Mapper 1.5 could,
find it at http://www.pure-mac.com/diag.html

-c
-c

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2001, 02:18 AM

Nope... Thanks for trying. All that program does is display current memory usage.

Actually what I referred to above as "memory mapping" is actually called "file mapping" and I think RAM Doubler might be the only alternative to Mac OS VM. I know so many people who use RAM doubler for "File Mapping only". More than half of RAM doubler users use this function. Does Connectix have a better explanation of why RAM doubler can't do "file mapping only" for systems with over 240MB physical RAM? This would be a great function.

ATTENTION CONNECTIX!!! PLEASE RESPOND!

I've been a registered owner of RAM Doubler since version 1.0 on my Performa 450. I'd like to use the file mapping function on my 256MB or above system. Thank you.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules