Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Hidden Files in Mac OS 9

Hidden Files in Mac OS 9
niacin
Apr 1, 2001, 11:39 AM

I was looking at some of the invisible files in my harddisk, these include a folder called Temporary Files, which I assume holds Temporary items, and a file called VM Storage.

There's this file called "Photoshop Temp6751404" that's like 580Megs big. I'm quite sure i can delete this, and all the other Photoshop Temp files inside, but does anyone know if i can delete the other stuff inside this temp folder to free up space on my Harddisk?

How can I view invisible files in Mac OS? Like in Windows, you just set Hidden files viewable, but not in Mac. Can someone enlighten?

Thanks!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2001, 01:06 PM

The photoshop file is part of the scratch disk created (Photoshops own virtual memory scheme) Got to http://www.versiontracker.com and do a keyword search for temp, it should come up with a couple of programs that will let you see all of the temporary files on your computer and delete them.
dave

Fredo
Senior User
Apr 1, 2001, 01:22 PM

You can use Sherlock to find invisible files in the Mac OS.
Bring up Sherlock. Go to Find - More Options. Check the "is invisible" box under advanced options.
Hope this helps.

------------------
"Who are the Brain Police?"
Who are the Brain Police?

cbh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2001, 05:15 PM

Try something called "Hidden Hunter" it's fantastic!

Space_Heater
Apr 4, 2001, 04:07 PM

Try "Eradicator". It's at 1.6 or so. It'll clean out your Temp folder and save you lots of room. Look for it on VersionTracker

Forum Links
Forum Rules