Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How can I open a RAR file?

How can I open a RAR file?
motoyen
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 12:01 PM

I tried using MacUnRAR but it doesn't work. Can some suggest another app to try.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 01:27 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by motoyen:
<strong>I tried using MacUnRAR but it doesn't work. Can some suggest another app to try.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hi Motoyen,
What is it you are trying to open?
dave

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 06:43 PM

A friend of mine took a bunch of pictures of my car for my web site. He compressed them all into a 130MB RAR file. I tried Stuffit and macunrar but neither one works.

arn
Jun 12, 2002, 07:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by motoyen:
<strong>A friend of mine took a bunch of pictures of my car for my web site. He compressed them all into a 130MB RAR file. I tried Stuffit and macunrar but neither one works.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">it's probably the new version of RAR.

Currently, there's a Mac OS X CLI version of this decompressor... but no OS 9 version I am aware of.

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14191&db=mac" target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14191&db=mac</a>

arn

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 07:24 PM

I looked at that OSX one but I know nothing about how to use terminal. How easy is it to use? I heard you can really screw up your computer if you mess around in there.

arn
Jun 12, 2002, 09:32 PM

<strong>I looked at that OSX one but I know nothing about how to use terminal. How easy is it to use? I heard you can really screw up your computer if you mess around in there.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Terminal is not that hard... but you do kinda have to know what you are doing.... and also don't take blind advice from people...

But here's the basic outline to use unrar...

Download, and unpack it. Now, you'll have a README.txt. Ignore that for now...

Now CLI programs that are executed when you type in their name in the command line. The "problem" is that Terminal only looks for these commands in certain directories. So, if you launch terminal and type "unrar" - it won't know where to find it since it isn't in a known directory. Alternateively, you can tell it exactly where the command is.... and we'll do that for now here:

Copy "unrar" to your Home directory (the little house in Finder)
Launch Termanal (it defaults to your Home directory when it opens)
type "./unrar" then hit return- without the quotes.

This should run unrar and show you a bunch of options and the help file. The "./" is so terminal knows where to find unrar (it means look in the current directory)

type "./unrar x " with no return at the end.... then drag your .rar file onto the terminal window. It should copy the full pathname of the rar file into Terminal. Then hit return.

This should extract the files.

arn

<small>[ 06-12-2002, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: arn ]</small>

my7200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2002, 11:22 PM

forget that X crap... here is a link
<a href="http://macinsearch.com/infomac2/compression/mac-unrar-11.html" target="_blank">http://macinsearch.com/infomac2/compression/mac-unrar-11.html</a>
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

arn
Jun 13, 2002, 11:19 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by my7200:
<strong>forget that X crap... here is a link
<a href="http://macinsearch.com/infomac2/compression/mac-unrar-11.html" target="_blank">http://macinsearch.com/infomac2/compression/mac-unrar-11.html</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">if you actually took the time to read the thread, you would have realized that the Mac OS 9 version of Unrar is an outdated version...

The OS X version is only one that is up to date (version 3.0 of rar).

Person1: Mac OS 9 version of Unrar doesn't work
Person2: You need the OS X version
You: Forget OS X, here's the os 9 version.

Someone doesn't listen well.

arn

<small>[ 06-13-2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: arn ]</small>

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2002, 03:38 AM

Thanks everyone. I had him recompress it using the zip format.

skeedog98
Jun 14, 2002, 08:05 AM

MacUnrar is crap anyway. I used it once to attempt to uncompress something while my PC buddy was laughing. Just get the standard *Nix source for Unrar and build it from that. It is very easy. Just remember to uncomment the line that says what platform you use ant the top of the OS.h file I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules