Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.2.1 boot destroying IBM 60GB

MacOS 9.2.1 boot destroying IBM 60GB
lapinos
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 03:38 AM

I have a BW G3 with the original 6 GB HD, an a new IBM Deskstar 60 GB in it. Everything is OK when I boot from X and launch Classic, but if I try to boot in plain OS 9, all the partitions on the IBM are definitely corrupted and unrecoverable.
The same happens to the target partition if I try to install OS 9 on the IBM.
Any clue, anyone?

PS. I will keep this post alive, I need an answer.

thanks
greg
Lao_Tseu

Cipher13
May 6, 2002, 07:40 AM

Yep. Your revision of the B&W G3 suffers severe corruption of the IDE bus.

There's nothing you can do to fix it. You basically can't use a second drive, and corruption is often present on the primary bus.

Your best bet is to get a PCI IDE card...

Sorry man.

I'd yell at Apple too, but I can't imagine they'd do much about it.

You might be able to threaten with a class action lawsuit... there are plenty of people who suffer this.

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Yep. Your revision of the B&W G3 suffers severe corruption of the IDE bus.

There's nothing you can do to fix it. You basically can't use a second drive, and corruption is often present on the primary bus.

Your best bet is to get a PCI IDE card...

Sorry man.

I'd yell at Apple too, but I can't imagine they'd do much about it.

You might be able to threaten with a class action lawsuit... there are plenty of people who suffer this.</STRONG>
Thanx Cipher13!
Can you explain to me why everything is OK with X on that IBM drive? I've been using X for 4 months without a problem, and booting OS 9 from a CD makes no problem at all either...
Is it the motherboard section of the bus, or the connexion cable?
greg
Lao_Tseu

Cipher13
May 6, 2002, 10:01 AM

Really, you don't have problems with OSX?

That's very odd... I can't explain that without more information.

Perhaps it is occurring, and you haven't noticed; OSX may be more tolerant, though personally I've found OS9 far more tolerant of corruption than X. I suggest you run X for a little while, then run DiskWawrrior over it, and see what sort of shape the partition is in. It probably won't be to pleasant, unfortunately.

The focus of the documented B&W G3 Data corruption issue is the IDE controller ('motherboard' aspect).

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Really, you don't have problems with OSX?

That's very odd... I can't explain that without more information.

Perhaps it is occurring, and you haven't noticed; OSX may be more tolerant, though personally I've found OS9 far more tolerant of corruption than X. I suggest you run X for a little while, then run DiskWawrrior over it, and see what sort of shape the partition is in. It probably won't be to pleasant, unfortunately.

The focus of the documented B&W G3 Data corruption issue is the IDE controller ('motherboard' aspect).</STRONG>
I will inspect my IBM after some weeks of use. It was working like a charm for 3 months until that sad day when I decided to reboot in 9 to play Spaceward Ho over AppleTalk. in one second I lost all my data on all the partition of the IBM, among which 5 GB of captured digital video.....
greg
Lao_Tseu

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 08:20 PM

OS X may just deal better with problems (typically does).... it is a severe problem. The problem is that the IDE controller chip on the motherboard is flawed, so nothing can really be done to fix it. But you can get another card. I did, and since it is ATA/66... much faster than the ATA/33 on the board. I highly recommend it.

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>OS X may just deal better with problems (typically does).... it is a severe problem. The problem is that the IDE controller chip on the motherboard is flawed, so nothing can really be done to fix it. But you can get another card. I did, and since it is ATA/66... much faster than the ATA/33 on the board. I highly recommend it.</STRONG>
Is there a software that can make a reliable diagnostic of my hardware?
Something I can download and use to be sure of what is hapening?

Greg
Lao_Tseu

Forum Links
Forum Rules