Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > goodbye 9....

goodbye 9....
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 06:12 PM

9.2.2 is the best os i've ever run, for me, stable, fast, consistent.
and i opted to stay with it until all my apps were there at X (& X itself seemed to be "there"...)

so...photoshop, reason, inDesign (which blows quark, my longtime mainstay, away)..., peak, finalcut, finaldraft, dreamweaver...

seems like everything is there.

so, now all i want is...a G4 iBook (12"or so screen) and i'm (literally) good2go...

by the fall, hopefully.

bye classic os, it's been a great relationship...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

VRL
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 01:44 AM

Wish I could afford a new PowerBook (or iBook), too.

It's not so bad working in X. Actually, I prefer it. And if I want, I can always boot back into 9.x.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2002, 03:26 PM

I still use classic as my primary os... Its extreamly rare I use X...

nightflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2002, 10:54 PM

Sniff... Isn't it great to see how one can become attached to his OS? Certainly not something we can see in the Wintel world, where people really don't care and have orange and blue windows. Hmm, the Platinum feeling, the crispiness of folders, the shortcuts, the hidden-to-the-regular-users features... In my case I couldn't resist to come back to 9 (only because i have no need for new software features)

Nightflame

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 11:45 PM

while i'm looking forward to the move to X, i'll miss my hacks, resedit, etc.

i've done about a dozen resedits to the system...
and running a half-dozen customizations.

but, at the end of the day, i want to be ready for the future...for updates to programs that will continue on only in X (as i imagine most apps will start to do late this year)

so it goes... ...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 2, 2002, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
<STRONG>while i'm looking forward to the move to X, i'll miss my hacks, resedit, etc.

i've done about a dozen resedits to the system...
and running a half-dozen customizations.

but, at the end of the day, i want to be ready for the future...for updates to programs that will continue on only in X (as i imagine most apps will start to do late this year)

so it goes... ... </STRONG>
Reboot off OS X installer CD, go into installer menu, choose reset password and make sure to choose root, get tinkertool when you're in OS X, and you won't need resedit to hack os x
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

<my7200>
May 7, 2002, 04:06 AM

for those of you that just jump ship when you are told to jump... what a bunch of lame people... X dosn't account for anything, apart from hype by Steve Jobs... here is the lo down:

- people still use MacOS 6-9... s_h_i_t; my mother uses 9.1 on an upgradded 7200/90 with a 450Mhz G4 card, and that can be upgradded to 9.2.2 anytime I please with the downloads, even X.

- X was used as a sales thing, apart from the minor problems with Classic faced... easily resolved if the pre-emptive code was allowed back in the Thread manager API... and hell the MP API already does it even if you don't have MP machine! I know it was more then this, but it is solvable..., I mean even the Newton OS was more powerful then MacOS..., and what happen just recently... Inkwell was introduced in X... wow f_u_c_k_e_n '97 technology brought back... so whats new in X... just the GUI pal!

I'm sure there are other stuff I'd like to say now, but hell, I finished worked so I'm off

cheers

-

P
May 7, 2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by &lt;my7200&gt;:
<STRONG>for those of you that just jump ship when you are told to jump... what a bunch of lame people... X dosn't account for anything, apart from hype by Steve Jobs... here is the lo down:

- X was used as a sales thing, apart from the minor problems with Classic faced... easily resolved if the pre-emptive code was allowed back in the Thread manager API... and hell the MP API already does it even if you don't have MP machine!
</STRONG>
Trolling is fun, isn't it? There was one slight limitation on how preemptive threads worked in 7.1 and later - you couldn't call the toolbox from them, because it wasn't reentrant. And there was no protected memory in sight.

<STRONG> I know it was more then this, but it is solvable...,
</STRONG>
Of course it was solvable. Apple tried to solve it, but it got a bit oo expensive... Remember Copland? Making a real OS backwards compatible to 1984 isn't easy.

<STRONG>
I mean even the Newton OS was more powerful then MacOS..., and what happen just recently... Inkwell was introduced in X... wow f_u_c_k_e_n '97 technology brought back... so whats new in X... just the GUI pal!

I'm sure there are other stuff I'd like to say now, but hell, I finished worked so I'm off

cheers

-</STRONG>
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2002, 09:39 AM

Just to note: Copland would not have been backward-compatible. There was going to be a means of running older apps; they called it the "Compatibility Box" back then. But Copland's own API would not have been the same, and there was no notion of anything even remotely like Carbon back then. Exactly what API it would have used, I don't claim to know, but it probably would have been something like Taligent.

It was not possible to add such things as full memory protection (Apple tried implementing even the crudest techniques, such as guard pages, back as far as 8.1 and failed every time). Pre-emptive multitasking was also not possible, and the MP API did not solve the problem. It simply didn't work, given the event model Classic uses (which does work, albeit very poorly, on OSX).

There was never any "light at the end of the tunnel" for the Classic MacOS architecture. It was doomed since the early 1990's, when the first plans for Copland were introduced. It took a fair bit of time to actually get anything off the ground, but Apple has finally managed it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

<9 is fine>
May 7, 2002, 02:11 PM

I'm running 9.1 on a seriously upgraded 8500. It's actually kinda nice now not having to worry about downloading new OS updates every few months. Geez, I remember loading 7.6 - 7.6.1 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.5 - 8.5.1 - 8.6 - 9.0 - 9.0.4 and then good old 9.1. What a hassle to download (or purchase) and then load all these updates. Ah, nice to have everything stable now!

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 04:00 PM

9 IS fine, i love 9.2.2, everything works, all my apps...
but in a year, there will be versions of apps ONLY for X...
and features, options...

at some point,9 will be like os7...good for the time, now obsolete.

still, my friend lives by 8.6. whatever anyone uses, if you get the job done, that's great. if you've got a quadra & do great graphics work, it's the final result that counts, not the tools...

whatever....peace!

<my7200>
May 7, 2002, 06:34 PM

by fisherKing:... still, my friend lives by 8.6. whatever anyone uses, if you get the job done, that's great. if you've got a quadra & do great graphics work, it's the final result that counts, not the tools...
cheers to this guy... at least he knows that it doesn't account for X... UNIX was a OS bought out in mid '70s, and does it take Apple nearly 30years to realise that it was superior to MacOS... eg the Lisa OS was pre-emptive and had all the UNIX features you wanted apart from MP support... why wasn't it brought back to live... or what about the other UNIX variations that Apple made throughout the years... AGAIN X is hype!

and no I'm no troll!... I've had my macintosh since '94 a good old 8100/110 with 7.5.2-updated to 9.2.2 and it works great... and for those of you that think I'm full of s_h_i_t... it all has to do with memory speed and HD speed even an old machine like that can handle basic front end OS GUI stuff... and trust me I've stacked the thing completly with the fastest 60ns SIMMS and largest 2Level cache which is 1MB... aswell as usuing dual raid ULTRA WIDE HDs... and I've compared the interaction of it to that of a dual G4/450 AGP here at work... and gues what NO freaking difference!... the difference lies only in the App that you use including the complexity.

Anyways, I'm sure most people that bought machines out then were more interested in work getting done by those machines then playing quake! though playing games I do myself

To all due respect... MacOS 9 and the versions after it not including X... will stick around some time

cheers

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2002, 09:00 PM

Unless you want to tear your hair out every five seconds don't switch over to X, especially since you say your 9 is stable.

There is no feature besides stability than makes X superior to 9... But yet I still use it? Eh, wierd world...

Plus I can't get InDesign 2 to work in X for the life of me, and this is the full install CD we are talking about here.... Grrrrr.

P
May 7, 2002, 09:32 PM

<STRONG>
and no I'm no troll!...
</STRONG>
In that case, excuse me. Most unregistered users are.

<STRONG>
I've had my macintosh since '94 a good old 8100/110 with 7.5.2-updated to 9.2.2 and it works great... and for those of you that think I'm full of s_h_i_t... it all has to do with memory speed and HD speed even an old machine like that can handle basic front end OS GUI stuff... and trust me I've stacked the thing completly with the fastest 60ns SIMMS and largest 2Level cache which is 1MB... aswell as usuing dual raid ULTRA WIDE HDs... and I've compared the interaction of it to that of a dual G4/450 AGP here at work... and gues what NO freaking difference!... the difference lies only in the App that you use including the complexity.

Anyways, I'm sure most people that bought machines out then were more interested in work getting done by those machines then playing quake! though playing games I do myself

To all due respect... MacOS 9 and the versions after it not including X... will stick around some time

cheers</STRONG>
I know they will. But you were wrong when you said that Apple could have fixed OS 9 to bring features like preemptive multitasking to it. This is a misunderstanding that I've seen too often, and I try to stamp it out when I can.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules