Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Cryptic error message after start up

Cryptic error message after start up
Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2001, 11:57 AM

I was trying to rid my System of unnecessary extensions, finally trying InformINIT and Extension Overload on for size. (EO is the better of the two, IMO.) Having completed that exercise, being very careful to leave anything alone that I could not find absolute agreement on between EO, II and EM that it was not needed for PPC / OS 8.1, I ended up with a strange error message on startup. (EM actually said some things were for PPC that II said were for 68k, so I left them.)
The error message is: "Unable to pick a file from the folder. The folder is empty."

What folder? I went back to the Extensions folder, to see if there were any newly created, empty folders. Nope. I did not move any Prefs during this session. I shuffled some Control Panels, but no folders were involved, as there were in Extensions.

I also happened to use Find File, and that caused a lock up. It found the file alright, but when I clicked on the folder in the FF window, to get to the item I wanted, it locked up. I was able to do this successfully on the second try, after restarting.

All ideas are welcome, especially those that lead to the correct solution!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Allah
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 11:15 PM

Open your Estensions Manager. Set view to Packages. See if you disabled a Control panel but not the accompaning Extension or vice-versa.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth

[This message has been edited by Allah (edited 04-10-2001).]
Carp� Bandwidth

Gregg  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2001, 10:24 AM

Allah, (resisting pun temptation) I think you hit it on the head! A couple of days ago, I restored two QuickTime extensions that I had moved in my pruning operation, and the message has not shown up since. So far, those are the only two components that we can't live without. I left QT MPEG and QT Musical Instruments inactive for now, and also deactivated all QuickDraw extensions, which should be the last group I want to experiment with.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules