Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > XP vs. OS X

XP vs. OS X
Mac-Guy
Mar 20, 2002, 10:59 AM

Folks,
I've been teetering on the brink of replacing my decrepit 9x Mac with a PC.

However, after completing a course on Troubleshooting Windows XP, the temptation is now gone. "Be afraid--be very afraid." This XP is scary stuff indeed. The System Configuration Utility alone should be enough to sway you (at least it was for me). I don't know how complicated OS X will be, but it's GOT to be better than XP.

Otis Day?? He loves us!

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 11:46 AM

I've used both XP and OS X(OS X on a daily basis). I found it quite ridiculous with XP that you have to traverse 5 or 6 levels just to get to the network settings. Sure XP has the software and device support right now, but that's because XP really isn't any different from 2000. OS X will blow XP out of the water, it just needs time.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

<robot>
Mar 21, 2002, 09:57 PM

Nah...fixing Windows is not all that difficult---just takes patience and a lot of time. I personally hate WinXP - i think Win2K was a better system. They basically took 2K/NT and added a bunch of graphical junk to it. The UI is a mess and annoying to navigate. OSX has everything available at your fingertips, XP makes you wade through all kinds of crap to get what you want - it was the biggest reason why i finally gave up on Windows - that and the fact XP was unreliable compared to 2K or OSX for that matter

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 10:43 PM

What drove me over the edge was the product activation... Sorry, I paid for your operating system, and I can only install it on one computer? Imagine if Ford or Chevy allowed the 302 or 350 to be installed on a certain "platforms" otherwise you'd have to buy a new car?

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: goatnet ]

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 11:06 PM

ooh, an interesting topic! RePost in lounge

The complexity issue depends on your viewpoint. OS X is complex due to it's *NIX core. Of course, the core is well known, logical, and documented. Windows is complex because no one knows what the hell is inside, some woulkd argue not even M$.

OS X, IMO, is better because all of that complexity isn't even noticed by the user. Thouse who wish to can actually learn, hack, and even fix the core OS. It simply isn't required of the casual or inexperianced user.

Sigh, whatever happened to the promise and hype of the "Totally Rewritten" Windows Whistler...
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules