Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ok, why? (about binary plist files in Tiger)

Ok, why? (about binary plist files in Tiger)
fortepianissimo
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 10:01 PM

I haven't had nerve to upgrade to Tiger, but according to some Tiger-running friends the plist files in Library/Preferences are now in binary!

Odd enough files like Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist is still in plain text.

Does anyone know why they want to take a step back? Made it XML so human can read it, and then made it binary? The argument of space-saving (compressed plist files) can't convince me - how much space can you save? And the overhead of decompressing the files?

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 10:04 PM

I think they're not so much compressed as stored in binary. So I think the idea is that it's faster to parse these files. But yes, I think it's pretty annoying. It makes futzing with stuff on the command line a multi-step process instead of a simple jump-in-and-fix.

But you can always use plutil to make a plaintext copy, and you can replace any binary plist with a plaintext plist, though it will probably be resaved as binary.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

or if you install the developer tools you can use the plist editor to edit and view them perfectly. the developer tools come on the tiger dvd.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 10:40 PM

This annoys me, too. I'm accustomed to being able to just "vi" my prefs files and now I have to use "open" instead and use PlistEditor's abortion of an interface. Thanks for the tip on plutil, though, I wasn't aware of that!

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's for speed. It's much quicker to parse a binary tree than a UTF file.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

entrox
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 06:09 AM

Calling XML "human readable" already sounds like a stretch to me, but preferring to edit the plists with vi seems like the embodiment of masochism

Adolf W. Bush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 06:12 AM

If you need a fairly decent plist editor, get a hold of PlistEdit Pro, much better than Apple's one.
I see Neocons...

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by entrox
Calling XML "human readable" already sounds like a stretch to me, but preferring to edit the plists with vi seems like the embodiment of masochism
Generally, I'd agree, but during coding sessions, I find it useful to be able to test something that changes a preference then bang into vi and type a quick /partofthekeyIwanttodelete<return>2dd:w:q. I can do it lightning-fast, and I do it pretty regularly. So this change sucks a bit as far as I'm concerned.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I noticed this today as well. I was at work and needed a bookmark from my home computer. Normally, all I needed to do was ssh into my home machine, type pico Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, hit ctrl-w to enter search mode, type what I was after and hit return. Copy the URL and I'd be up and running in under a minute. Took me a while to get over the initial distress of my bookmarks obviously being corrupt, before I realised what was going on.

Suppose I can't really complain - if Apple finds yet another way to increase the speed, no matter how small that increase may be, then I'm all for it.

Thanks for the tip about plutil to make a plain text copy.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Forum Links
Forum Rules