Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Laminar's MDD G4 Funtimes

Laminar's MDD G4 Funtimes (Page 2)
Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 12, 2024, 09:23 AM

It may come down to what's on sale when I'm ready to purchase. The i5-12400F is $110 vs. the i3-14100F at $125 for about equal single-core performance.

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 15, 2024, 08:31 AM

Splurged a little and went for the i5-12600KF for $140, which also meant I had to buy a cooler for another $33. Initially planned on 16GB of RAM but at $38 for 16 or $53 for 32, I just went for 32. Spent a touch over what I had planned but I think it was all value-added. Son liked a white case, so we went with the white case and white CPU cooler.

Got a motherboard off of Marketplace for $50, found an open-box power supply from Best Buy for $40 shipped. RAM and processor were new. All in for about $370, which is less than an Xbox.

The i5 should outperform my 11th-gen i7 in all metrics.

Also, does the term "Black Friday" now just mean "sale"?

( Last edited by Laminar; Jul 15, 2024 at 09:39 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2024, 01:24 PM

What will become of the MDD G4 -> Intel? Based on this thread, I assume your new build replaces the MDD Convertible?

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2024, 02:28 PM

The MDD is mine and it stays. This replaces the MacPro 5,1.

Thorzdad
Jul 16, 2024, 06:00 PM

So, what kind of wacky fun can a guy get up to resurrecting a 2x2 G5? Asking for a friend...

reader50
Administrator
Jul 17, 2024, 01:03 AM

When I rebuild G4s or G5s, the problems usually are dried-out heatsink grease, with hard-to-open heat sinks. Along with failing GPU fans. On the G4s only, there's also the PATA problem if you want to update the drives.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2024, 03:49 AM

The G5 heat sink parts from Apple used to come with pre-applied thermal grease IIRC. Except maybe they earlier ones that used to be supplied with gloves and a hatful of warnings about how toxic the super-duper special grease was.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2024, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
So, what kind of wacky fun can a guy get up to resurrecting a 2x2 G5? Asking for a friend...
Strip the Mac components and put a new Intel board in there. The use cases for a current Mac are dwindling, let alone a crappy slow one that's several OS versions behind.

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2024, 09:23 AM

Facebook Marketplace strikes again. Spot the bent pins.

Went ahead and ordered a new board that got delivered on Saturday. In the meantime, we hooked up the power supply so we could at least see the fun case lights.

The mobo showed up around 4pm and we were gaming by 6:30.

I ran the Heaven 4.0 benchmark on my PC and his and it's a dead heat, which makes sense because we both have a 3060 and that's probably the bottleneck of the system. But he's getting a solid 165fps on Fortnite with no drops so he's pleased. Minecraft on Ultra Fancy settings is 500+ fps.

Next step is making a shelf to get the PC up off the floor.

andi*pandi
Jul 22, 2024, 10:02 AM

minecraft + 500fps = does not compute

You set your block rendering to 128 and you'll like it!

(great job, happy kids!)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2024, 11:31 AM

I like the anti-anti static mat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules