Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 QS SSD options

G4 QS SSD options
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2024, 02:08 PM

Desperately trying to remember stuff I forgot 25 years ago!
I have a G4 Quicksilver. Looks like it's one of the early ones as it won't see above 128GB on any internal IDE drive.
Anyway I wanted to look at throwing in an SSD so I bought a cheap PATA/SATA adapter from Amazon. It certainly sees the drive OK and I did manage to instal macOS 9.2 onto it from the installer. The machine boots fine (fairly quickly as well given the speed of the ISE bus in this, but it then freezes immediately. I imagine its the old extension issue somewhere...

Any thoughts?
Also best way to get the data form the old 60GB HDD to the new SSD in a pre migration assistant world. Maybe just use disk imager to image the old drive?
Never thought I'd be doing this again but a crusty client is too set on using bloody Freehand 5!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Jul 1, 2024, 02:37 PM

Macs used to be fussy about SSD brands. Samsung or Crucial were the safest choices IIRC. Along with OWC.

You'll do better using a PCI adapter - that gets rid of the 128GB limit, and fixes most (all?) brand compatibility issues. FirmTek has the best reputation for compatibility, but their prices haven't dropped in years. Their store links still worked a few months ago, but aren't loading when I checked just now. You can try contacting them directly. Their cards occasionally appear on eBay.

OWC still offers SSD options. But no PCI cards.

Your problem could be the PATA - SATA adapter. I've had trouble with cheap ones, that aren't sleep compatible. Where the drive doesn't remount after wakeup. Can be a real problem if it's the boot drive. Suggest getting an adapter from OWC or other Mac-specific shop.

andi*pandi
Jul 1, 2024, 07:35 PM

<3 Freehand 5!

Forum Links
Forum Rules